So… Motorbike or Auto?

If you succumbed to a particularly useful Ford Territory review, perhaps you’re inclined to prefer
a car to a motorbike, however strong counter-arguments can be made.

It’s possible to record the critical moments prior to a collision just as well with a motorbike as with
an auto. As www.motoring.com.au reported, Navman produces digital driver recorders that capture
the relevant information, making it easier to report incidents to police and insurance companies.
Navman’s devices can be fitted to motorbikes or cars.

Taking a motorbike to work necessitates a change of clothing at work. In return, it improves mental
processes and overall health, and commuting becomes a recreational activity.

Horsepower equates to fuel consumption, and motorbikes are better in this respect. A car of 3,500lb
will require around 62hp to maintain a speed of 60mph, while a 600lb bike manages the same with
a paltry 10hp. Even a gas-guzzling motorbike can achieve 45mpg.

Motorbikes lack interiors, airbags, and four-wheel independent suspension, making them cheaper.
The most expensive car in the world, the Bugatti Veyron, costs about $1.2 million, while the most
expensive motorbike, the MV-Augusta F4CC, costs only $150,000. Motorbikes are also cheaper
to maintain. A Toyota Camry could be insured for $80 a month, while most states allow bikers to
forget insurance so long as they wear a helmet. Parking a motorbike may be free and they are often
exempt from road tolls. Motorbikes do, however, have to be serviced around four times as often.

Motorbikes crush cars in terms of performance. A Suzuki V-Strom can reach 60mpg in 5.6 seconds,
which is in the range of the Porsche Boxter S.

A car driver may claim that they prefer to have stereo music, forgetting that this is only necessary
because of the time spent trapped in their tin box in motionless traffic. A study by the British Royal
Automobile Club found that traveling by motorbike rather than car would allow you to spend 20
minutes more abed, every day. You should also consider the time spent paying for your transport:
hours in the case of autos, but minutes for motorbikes.

A study by TML, a Belgian transport specialist, led to interesting revelations. In free-flowing
traffic, a motorbike requires as much space as a car, but less when traffic density increases. If
10 percent of drivers changed to motorbikes, the travel time of the remaining 90 percent would
increase. Motorbikes themselves produce 21 percent less emissions than cars, but emissions fall by
more due to improved traffic flow.

Autos are safer. Deaths from motorbike accidents are around 30 times higher than from car
accidents. The safety of motorbikes can be improved by spotting trouble in advance, for instance
when people open the doors of parked cars without looking. It’s well-worth remembering that if you
can’t see a driver’s face in the mirror of their auto, they can’t see you. Wearing bright clothing on a
motorbike grants additional protection. On a motorbike, you can weave through the ever-increasing
congestion found on roads when autos are stationary, but this should not be done in moving traffic.
A motorbike is safer than a car if it’s less likely to have an accident in the first place. Motorbikes
also never present the problem of being trapped in a burning vehicle.

While it’s possible to driver a car in shorts and flip flops, a motorbike requires a full outfit,
including helmet. Unfortunately, the attractions of motorbikes pale further as soon as you have to
haul garbage to the local recycling center. An all-weather suit trade rainwater and ice for sweat.

Comments are closed.


Google+